Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Thursday, February 27, 2014
Today I thought I would share a yummy recipe with you.  I have been buying the Daiya brand of dairy free cream cheese and it is pretty expensive so when I had some left over from a previous recipe  I didn't want the rest to go bad.  My sister gave me this recipe for Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cupcakes and she had switched it up to be gluten free so I went one step further and used dairy free cream cheese and dairy free sour cream.  We also eliminate the vinegar because it plays havoc with our sinuses and the only reason people put the vinegar (along with the baking soda) to a recipe like this is to add more carbon dioxide (yea, I researched it)  I will give you the regular recipe and you can change it up like we did if you need to for your own diet restrictions.  I think they are pretty yummy!  I will be bringing them with me to church tonight for out Girls Night Out Event.  See you there!



Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cupcakes
(from Cookie Madness via My Baking Adventures)

Fillling:
4 oz cream cheese softened (I used Daiya dairy free)
2 T granulated sugar (I used pure organic cane sugar) (unrefined)
1 1/2 tsp lightly beaten egg (break egg, mix with fork, measure)
1/4 tsp vanilla

Batter:
1 C plus 2 T flour (I used gluten free)
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
1/2 C vegetable oil
2/3 C sugar (I used pure organic cane sugar) (unrefined)
1 tsp vinegar (I  omit this)
1 large egg
1 T red food coloring
3/4 tsp vanilla
3 T sour cream (I used dairy free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8-10 muffin cps with paper liners

prepare filling first. With a mixing spoon, beat together softened cream cheese and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and stir until smooth.  Set aside

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt

In a second mixing bowl, stir together oil, sugar, vinegar, egg, red food color, vanilla and sour cream.   Mix very well, then add the flour mixture and stir just until well blended

Measure out approximately 1/3 C red mixture and set aside. Divide remaining red mixture between the muffin cups - each should be a little over 1/3 of the way full. Spoon cream cheese mixture over red mixture, dividing evenly between all cups. Drop small spoonfuls of reserved red batter on top of cream cheese mixture, making a bullseye pattern.

Bake for 20-23 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Best served Chilled

I hope you give these a try no matter what variety you like (gluten free or the regular)

Thanks for stopping by!
Christi

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Christi's Creative Crew | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates