Slow Cooker Root Vegetable Stew

Tuesday, February 25, 2014
I posted on Facebook yesterday that I was making this for our dinner and I got several comments and people wanting the recipe.  I got his recipe from my sister, and where she got it, I have no idea.  I hope you like it


Have you ever seen these slow cooker liners?  We love them - saves so much time in your clean up



Channeling my inner Julia Childs while I diced up my onion  (I love the movie Julie and Julia)


Dale helps me to cut the butternut squash (I've lost so much strength in my hands from breaks, surgeries and cake decorating over the years), but once it gets into manageable size I can do the peeling and chopping.
1# Butternut Squash

1# of carrots

 1# of Sweet Potatoes


 1# of Yukon Gold Potatoes


 Everything is chopped up

 Celery - 2 stems

 6 cloves of garlic


 Fresh Sage leaves

Fresh Kale - this you will add at the very end, just before serving.  A great source of vitamins


Add it all to your crock pot with your spices and cook


Here it is in recipe form:

SLOW COOKER ROOT VEGETABLE STEW

1 large white onion, chopped (I was channeling my inner Julia Child on this part)
1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 lb carrots, peeled, and chopped
1 lb sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
3 C chicken broth (or vegetable broth) - I used Chicken broth this time around
1 bay leaf
1 T fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (I have some extra sitting here that needs to be used up-first come first served)
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 C chopped fresh kale

Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker except for the kale, carefully stir to combine (this makes a lot), Cook on low heat 6-8 hours until the vegetables are tender.  Remove bay leaf, and carefully stir in the kale.  Let the stew continue cooking for another 10 minutes.  Season with additional salt and pepper if needed

Serve immediately

Sometimes it is just good to give your body a break from meat so we love this meatless meal - well, I think Dale would love a little chicken or something on the side, but he sure is a trooper with all my new recipes.

ENJOY!! 
and thanks for stopping by!
Christi Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Christi's Creative Crew | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates